Monday, July 1, 2013

SAS supports PostgreSQL

From a recent email:
Another good thing for SAS, is they FINALLY support postgres. Next month the next major version of SAS (9.4) is being released which has postgres support. Their midtier infrastructure service actually uses postgres for backend db stuff, which was very surprising to me that SAS is using it to support its own stuff now.

You can actually demo VA here:
http://www.sas.com/software/visual-analytics/overview.html

I have very fond memories of SAS - SQL and SAS were the first two computer languages I learned, back in the 1980s, and my knowledge of SAS largely helped me pay for my way through University when I returned to study in 1988. Sadly, I've hardly touched it in the last 20 years, even though they are headquartered here  a couple of miles from my house. They are consistently said to be one of the best places in the world to work. So it's nice to see them supporting PostgreSQL.

1 comment:

  1. I worked in SAS consulting company in Poland. SAS is a supreme data analytics engine, but it was never really meant as multiuser/transactional. PostgreSQL fills this gap very well. You can find official SAS instructions for migrating from Table Server to PostgreSQL. I bet you can find postgres in many other SAS products.

    ReplyDelete